Saturday, February 28, 2015

Review: Monuts

Hot Drink Hotspot: Monuts Donuts;
http://www.monutsdonuts.com

Coffee Date(s) and Order(s): The Ryskiewich Family, 2 Press-Pots and 3 Donuts

Mugshot: 


Photo from Twitter user @Sweet_As_Pi





Monuts, ahhh. As I write this review, I am experiencing nearly as much inner turmoil as when I was in high school (ok, college) and couldn’t decide between #TeamEdward or #TeamJacob. Popular opinion in the Durham area would say Monuts is among the best of the best when it comes to local cafes, but I… well I just don’t know. 

Monuts recently moved from their original downtown location (hip) to Ninth Street (not so hip; see previous post about Francesca’s). They also attempted to rebrand themselves from a little donut shop to now also including a full restaurant and bar. Alright people, you can’t do everything. What really set me off, though (besides unapologetically offering absolutely zero gluten free donuts), was the sign above the resister that read something like “If you’re nice, we’ll be nice. If you’re sassy, we’ll be sassy.” Uhm hello, ever heard of customer service? I believe the idea is you’re nice all the time. For some reason this really tainted the entire night for me. Call me obsessive… 

We ordered three donuts (for those who indulge in gluten) and two press-pots (for everyone, of course). My friends loved the donuts, and one even said she loved the vibe of the cafe so much she “felt like she was in Europe.” (Take that, Chapel Hill!) The press-pot coffee was good, although some commented it was a little bitter. Personally I enjoyed the drink, but didn’t think it wasn’t anything too special. I mean, one can only be wowed by a french press for so long. I think Monuts must've seen the Betches Love This article about French Presses and realized all hipsters prefer them. 

My recommendations for Monuts are this: stop acting like you’re too cool for school because believe it or not there are plenty of other cafes in Durham that rival you. So drop the sass, offer some gluten-free options, and move back downtown.

PS- I chose #TeamJacob.


Monuts scoring is as follows:

Atmosphere: 3/5 (A cool spot, but I liked the old building better!)

Service: 2/5 (A little sassy, not a big fan...)

Drink: 3/5 (It was fine I guess).

Overall Experience: 3/5 (You get the gist). 



No comments:

Post a Comment